Salmon is low in fat and high in protein. Not to mention it is a good source of B12, potassium, iron and vitamin D. No wonder the Scandinavians enjoy it.
Making pastry can be a pain but it’s a breeze with this recipe as the kitchen food processor blends and forms a delicious, cheesy pastry shell.
This recipe is substantial and makes a filling pie great for serving the family or group. The pie cuts easily and holding its form brilliantly on the day of cooking as well as the next day for a summer lunch.
Salmon Pie Recipe
Preheat Oven to 180 C (350F)
Cheesy Pastry Crust Ingredients
- 1.5 cups Plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 125 g Butter
- 1 cup grated Cheddar or firm Cheese (substitutes are fine as long as it isn’t a cheese that melts too much such as mozzarella)
- Rub the butter into the flour using a Food Processor but not so much that it turns into a ball (keep it crumbly)
- Add the grated cheese and mix through the pastry.
- Set aside 1/4 of the mix to reserve for the pie topping
- Press the remainder into an 8-9 inch pottery, or glass, pie dish until it covers the base and sides to form the pastry shell.
- 220 gram (around 8 oz) can cooked Red or Pink Salmon, preferably boneless
- 3 Eggs
- 375 grams Sour cream (13 oz)
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped Chives
- 2-3 drops of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Cheese (extra)
- Drain and flake salmon and combine with the rest of the filling ingredients
- Place the combined mix into the pastry shell
- Crumb the reserved portion of the pastry crumbs on top
- Bake 40 – 50 minutes at 180 C (350 F) or until golden brown on top
Delicious served hot or cold the next day with a green salad.
You must be logged in to post a comment.