The cake for this week is a bread that is really a cake.
Blueberries are in season here at the Home by the Sea. Blueberries the so-called Superfood packed with antioxidants means this bread-like cake can legitimately claim the label of a healthy home-baked food.
You will find it especially delightful served warm with a cuppa.
Recipe for Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F or 175° C
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the blueberries, nuts and lemon zest.
- Transfer to a greased 8×4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm bread.
Because of its lemon base you can replace the blueberries with raspberries or any other bey in season. Or you could turn this into an orange cranberry bread by using orange juice and cranberries. Cherries and almonds also pair beautifully with either lemon or orange.
Using full fat milk, will mean the bread will keep moist for longer.