This is a recipe published by the Australian Women’s Weekly Magazine some years back. In my and my family’s opinion, this is one of the best lemon cake recipes around. Perfect to have with a cuppa.
Australian Women’s Weekly Lemon Cake Recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour
- ½ cup* (125ml) milk – *fill to within 1/4 inch of the brim of the cup measure, with milk, then top up to the brim with lemon juice
- Cinnamon and walnuts to sprinkle on top (optional)
- ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180°/160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 20cm round or large loaf pan, then line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions.
- Stir in the sifted flours in two batches with the milk.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and a handful of walnuts on top of the mix.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 35- 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
The topping is optional as the cake is sweet enough without, but if you wish to make it here it is:
- Combine the lemon juice and sugar in a jug; stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the topping over the hot cake
- Allow cake to stand for 15 minutes before turning the cake onto a wire rack to cool.
This cake is suitable to freeze but not suitable to cook in the microwave.
You must be logged in to post a comment.