I have had this small tin of crab meat in my pantry for (mumble, mumble) quite some time now. I really did not know what I was going to use it for.
I think it was originally destined for a party, hanging out with other Swedish sandwich cake ingredients, but things did not work out between them, and so the crab meat, was left on the shelf… literally!
Inspiration hit me one night when the Moth aka hubby and I were on our own, no family to cook for and decided on a light meal to end the week. Surfing the net always provides inspiration and along the way I found a recipe for Hot Crab Dip.
As one always does, there were adjustments I just had to make, serving it cold, and adding some extra vegetables for crunch. As I like fresh and crunchy celery, cucumber and capsicum, I chopped these up and added them in. The dish has some added Vitamin C and fibre this way.
But credit goes to Will Cook for Smiles for the essence of the recipe. She baked hers in the oven, whilst I often prefer my seafood cold, so I didn’t. It is totally agreeable either way.
It is just your own preference.
Here is what I mixed to make this superb light meal/appetizer/dip/wine & cheese accompaniment.
Crab Dip Recipe
- 130 g tinned Crabmeat
- 40g spreadable Cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 stalks of Spring onion, finely chopped and diced.
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of shaved Parmesan cheese, to mix in
- 1/4 cup of shaved Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Salt & fresh cracked Pepper
Optional Extras if serving it cold:
- 1/2 medium Yellow and Green Capsicum, chopped & diced.
- 1/2 small Lebanese Cucumber, chopped & diced.
- Celery – 1 stalk – only if you like it very crunchy
Method for Serving Cold Crab Dip
Mix all ingredients together. Serve with crackers, fresh bread or baguette.
To Serve Crab Dip Hot:
- Preheat the oven to 170 degree celsius or 340 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine all the ingredients, top with the second 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread or crackers of your choice.
It was hard to stop nibbling this more-ish mix with my water crackers!
Next time I’s serve it hot with some fresh salad and a secondary dish.
You must be logged in to post a comment.