There are some many benefits to eating magnesium-rich foods, and broccoli and spinach are good dietary sources.
If you have members of the family that aren’t keen on munching down on a large chunk of “little trees,” or broccoli, then this soup might tempt them to eat more than they would as a humble steamed vegetable.
Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 500 g broccoli (diced stalks and sprigs)
- 1 small potato, finely diced
- Several large spinach leaves, chopped roughly (or silverbeet or rainbow chard)
- 1 onion, diced
- Several celery stalks, sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream, (for cream of broccoli soup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup frozen or fresh peas
- pepper and salt to taste
- Lemon slices as garnish
- Variation: 1 small chicken breast, cooked and finely sliced
- Saute the onion and celery in a pan until the onion turns transparent.
- Add potato and stir
- Wash broccoli and cut into sprigs and add broccoli, chopped spinach, chicken stock and onion/ celery mix to a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add fresh or frozen peas and simmer til broccoli and peas are cooked.
If wanting to make cream of broccoli soup, mash or process using a hand blender or victimizer-blender till smooth. Add cream and return to saucepan heating through whilst adding seasoning and lemon juice.
Or/ gently blend or stir til broccoli breaks up into small sprigs then add seasonings and lemon juice.
Garnish and serve.
Adding cooked slivers of chicken breast cooked bolster the protein content of this dish and turn it into a meal.
A nice accompaniment to Broccoli and Spinach soup would be almond or walnut bread.